Cathédrale Notre Dame et Saint-Castor

BACK

Cathédrale Notre Dame et Saint-Castor

  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  • Cathédrale Saint Castor
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
 

First Cathedral of Nîmes


It was consecrated in 1096 by Pope Urban II and Raymond IV, Count of Toulouse and Count of Nîmes.
The cathedral was first called Sainte Marie, then Notre Dame and finally, during the revolution, Saint Castor.
It houses the tomb of Cardinal Bernis, Monseigneur Cohon, bishop of Nîmes and an early Christian sarcophagus in marble.

Religious buildings suffered from religious wars. The cathedral was destroyed twice and rebuilt on the ruins.
We find the foundations of the 11th century Romanesque church (frieze, tower, wall section), neo-Gothic architecture of the 17th century and renovation of the 19th century. Do not miss the medieval frieze of the first cathedral.
September 29, 1567: History of the Michelade at Saint Castor's Cathedral.
The Catholics are thrown into the well of the courtyard of the bishopric, located on the side of the cathedral, the Protestant rioters then attack the cathedral by trying to destroy the bell tower.

The Cathedral has undergone two renovations: the first from 1877 to 1882 by the architect Henri Revoil and the second and last in 1904.
From the original 11th century building, there remains its facade and a bas-relief suite from the Old Testament.
It was rebuilt in the 17th and remodeled internally in the 19th in the neo-Gothic style. Large remarkable 17th century organs, Gallo-Roman sarcophagus and paintings by local masters rub shoulders.

Free access.

YOU WISH
CONTINUE EXPLORING

9 Rue Saint Castor
30900 NIMES

Tel : +33 (0)4 66 67 27 72
Tel : +33 (0)4 66 21 42 20

Website : cathedrale-nimes.fr

RECEPTION

Accès Handicapés

Groupes acceptés

WE SPEAK

  • french
  • PLEIN ÉCRAN