Chapelle Romane de Ste Croix de Caderle

BACK

Chapelle Romane de Ste Croix de Caderle

  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  • Chapelle Romane Ste Croix de Caderle
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
 

Chapel turned temple


Partly destroyed during the Wars of Religion, Catholics seized the village around 1580.
Between 1648 and 1653, the vault-vault was repaired.
Between 1653 and 1663, the chapel was rebuilt.
It was burned in 1703 during the Camisard War.

In 1737, when Jean Antoine Peyre, priest of the diocese of Vabres, took possession of the cure, the parish counted 209 inhabitants, of which only 3 satisfied their paschal duty.
Peyre dies there almost 40 years later, replaced in 1776 by Jacques Sauzet, a native of Saint-Roman-de-Codières, former perpetual vicar of Saumane1
Repairs followed one another until the Revolution when the church and the cure were classified as "national goods".
In 1802, the chapel and the cemetery were given to the Protestant cult.

The chapel being restored has been the subject of an excavation campaign which has brought to light a Merovingian sarcophagus.

Nowadays a Protestant temple, the Romanesque chapel, part of which remains of origin, is adjacent to fortifications dating from the wars of religion.
To see inside, a side chapel with crossed warheads and Romanesque wall in large device with hanging blocks and marks of fellow builders.
Outside, an orientation table offers a magnificent panoramic view up to Mont Lozère, the Vercors cliffs, Mont Ventoux and the Espiguette lighthouse.

YOU WISH
CONTINUE EXPLORING

Chapelle Romane
30460 STE CROIX DE CADERLE

Tel : +33 (0)4 66 85 27 27

E-mail : mairie-ste-croix30@wanadoo.fr

Website : www.saintecroixdecaderle.fr/la-chapelle

PLEIN ÉCRAN